We’re proud to announce the 2018 Mark Gunter Photographer of the Year Awards will support up to 3 young cyclists with AUD$1,000 of financial assistance each to help them in their development.
This cause was close to Mark’s heart. He loved to see young cyclists develop – from behind the lens – through the ranks of cycling; from local, through juniors, at state level, to national series, and onto development teams, and through to the Pro Tour teams.
Mark was fortunate to witness their growth, their strength, their ability to move forward after the setbacks or accidents, and their passion and determination, and their will to succeed. Cycling can often be a self funded sport, and it’s a hard slog to manage training, events, good nutrition with school, uni and part time work, and a bit of help from Mum and Dad. That’s how the Young Cyclist Assistance can help – with AUD$1,000 to take some of the financial pressure off.
Nominations for Young Cyclist Assistance from the 2018 Mark Gunter Photographer of the Year Awards are open.
To qualify for one of up to three AUD$1,000 Young Cyclist Assistance packages, you need to;
- be a cyclist 23 years old or younger
- be living anywhere in the world
- be competing in road cycling, track, or cycle cross events
- be competing locally, nationally, or internationally
- who need $1,000 financial assistance to help enable a step in your progress as a cyclist
- Nominations are now open – from 30th November, 2018 AEDT and close 1159pm 3rd January, 2019 AEDT.
- Nominations EXTENDED till 11pm Sunday 6th January, 2019 AEDT.
- Up to three Young Cyclists each receiving AUD$1,000 will be announced 11th January, 2019.
To be awarded one of up to three AUD$1,000 Young Cyclist Assistance packages, all you need to do is;
- tell your story (eg; tell us about you, your career so far, who has influenced you etc)
- say specifically what the money will be used for and how it will enable a tangible step in your career (eg: a new bike, an airline ticket to a race, etc)
- tell us why you are deserving of the financial assistance
- you can nominate yourself or someone else can nominate you
- send a video (max 3 minutes) explaining your story
- email your entry to email@example.com
This year we are proud to announce that Marianne Vos will be the third and independent judge. Marianne has done it all; she’s claimed the titles of World Champion, Olympic Champion, she’s exceptional in multi disciples and she currently a Pro Cyclist for WaowDeals Pro Cycling Team. We’re excited to have Marianne join the team, she brings the voice and experience in all aspects of the sport.
The selection of the 2018 Young Cyclist Assistance recipients involves;
- each individual nomination to be considered in depth
- a shortlist of nominations will be evaluated by Leeanne Gatien (Mark Gunter’s wife) and Wade Wallace (founder and Director of CyclingTips.com) and Marianne Vos (Pro Cyclist for WaowDeals Pro Cycling Team)
- then collectively up to three of the most deserving Young Cyclists for 2018 will be chosen by Marianne Vos
Yes it is a somewhat subjective process, but it will be a fair one, and I know that we will select cyclists that Mark would have wanted to see the money go to.
Good luck to all our Young Cyclists and we wish you well in your careers.
Mark wanted to give back to the cycling community. And even now that he’s gone, these awards help enable this vision of his. There is still time to donate to help fund cancer research. We have partnered with Tour de Cure and you can help by donating directly. Thank YOU.